TEMPESTA DI MARE—CHAMBER PLAYERS
Gwyn Roberts, recorder; Emlyn Ngai & Karina Fox, violin; Lisa Terry, cello; Adam Pearl, harpsichord and Richard Stone, lute
“The concert provided another example of the scholarship, musical imagination, and performing skill that supports the best early music performances. The result was a parade of variety and inventiveness that showcased the talents of Tempesta di Mare’s leading performers.” — Broad Street Review
The Chamber Players return in February in Bach Trio Sonatas, Tempesta’s own colorful settings of the six sonatas for organ re-imagined for chamber ensemble. By treating the sonatas as conversational chamber music for varying forces of multiple players rather than as monologues for a single performer, these pieces show off music that is at once rich, deep, wicked, jaunty, impish, profound, hard-rocking and so much more.
The performances of this program are supported by the E. Nakamichi Foundation.
We will record this program for a 2013 release on Chandos Records.
Six Organ Trio Sonatas — Johann Sebastian Bach
- Sonata V, BWV 529 — recorder, violin, viola, continuo
- Sonata IV, BWV 528 — lute, harpsichord
- Sonata I, BWV 525 — recorder, violin, continuo
- Sonata III, BWV 527 — voice flute, violin, continuo
- Sonata II, BWV 526 — 2 violins, continuo
- Sonata VI, BWV 530 — soprano recorder, 2 violins, continuo